Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Any One Can Do It

So, anyone who knows me can tell you that I like to make stuff with my hands. My best medium is paper (see my Etsy site! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CreamCityCrafts ), but I dabble in sewing and beading and all sorts of stuff.

What it really comes down to is that old adage by Plato, I think, that goes "Necessity is the mother of invention". That's kind of how I end up making stuff. I am, among other things, a dedicated Tree Hugger, so when the very idea of paper napkins and land fills became overwhelming, I took a bunch of scrap material and made cloth napkins. They're cheap, easy, and reusable, and yes, anyone can do it. When TD (Tiny Dictator, my son) was chucking a softball around and I feared for the safety of the dogs, we made a sponge ball that is bright and colorful and totally harmless -when- his spectacular aim lands it directly on Daddy's head.

That's what this blog is all about. The stuff I make to sell on Etsy is art. It's still useful, but it's a little more complicated and it's meant to be more of a gift or showpiece. This blog will discuss all the other crafting, the every day stuff that is functional and useful and cute, and can enhance the way you live and the way your kids spend their time. I'm -big- on crafting with the Tiny Dictator, showing him how we can do it ourselves and have a good time and be creative in a million little ways.

To that end, the next post will show you TD's "Adventure Book". It's an incredibly simple "scrap book" that a four-year-old can handle, and has brought both of us literally hours of joy. You're gonna love it, I swear.

Thanks for stopping by! Check in often. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment